Sunday, May 3, 2009

Test Post

[To anyone who wonders what this post is all about: I've been puzzled by the way Blogger is handling my attempts to do certain kinds of lists. Valued reader Sam Spade sent me some suggestions for changing the HTML code, and I've been playing around with it.]

  1. two
  2. three
  • bullet
  • points
  • work, too
  • new
  • bullet
  • attempt
  • bullet
  • again
  1. one
  2. tw0
  • test
  • test
  1. one
  • two

Hey, it works!! Sam Spade, you're a genius, and your willingness to help is much appreciated!!!

Well, the bullets are still flowers, but heck, this is a liberal blog.

I'm very impressed.
.

4 comments:

  1. Can you repeat that to my wife?

    Really, HTML and CSS are all too prosaic. I don't know much about them honestly.

    If you wish to get rid of the flowers altogether, take out this line entirely:

    background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/scribe/list_icon.gif")

    It occurs in the formatting definition for LI's (as discussed previously). What it means is, "Display this flower picture along with all LI's."

    Glad to be of help!

    --Sam Spade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I deleted the line, and then there was no bulleting at all; so I restored it and it's back to the flowers. I'll settle for that. It's weird, though, since in my template, and when I preview it before posting, it's bullets not flowers...

    ReplyDelete
  3. To get rid of the flowers AND restore bullets, change the original formatting for LI's from the original:

    li {
    line-height:1.5em;
    list-style:none;
    background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/scribe/list_icon.gif") no-repeat left .3em;
    vertical-align:top; padding-top: 0;
    padding-right: 0; padding-bottom: .6em;
    padding-left: 17px; margin:0;
    }

    to this:

    li {
    line-height:1.5em;
    vertical-align:top; padding-top: 0;
    padding-right: 0; padding-bottom: .6em;
    padding-left: 17px; margin:0;
    }

    `background' establishes a background image (the flower); `list-style: none' means, "do not use any list bullets or numbering." In effect the designer substituted a background image for the conventional list symbols.

    You could also try getting rid of the LI formatting block altogether. It's primary purpose in life is to display the flowers.

    Best,
    Sam Spade

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have trouble with bullet points too but after reading the "solution", I think I'll just live with mine!

    ReplyDelete

Comments back, moderated. Preference given for those who stay on topic.

Popular posts