Thursday, July 2, 2020

Barr, The Door

"Trump is the most purely evil human being I've ever met..." — Tony Schwartz, actual author of “Art of the Deal.”

Maybe he never met Bill Barr.

If Trump is the lesser evil, it’s because he’s so damaged that he can’t help being amoral, any more than the proverbial scorpion could help killing the frog. Barr, on the other hand, made a conscious choice to be Trump’s handmaiden, purposefully subverting the Department of Justice. Not just evil: he could be the most dangerous man in D.C., though between Trump, Barr, and Mitch McConnell, it’s a tough choice. That treacherous triumvirate has so damaged democracy it’ll be tough for Joe Biden and a Democratic Congress to make it right. If, by now, it’s even possible.

Attorney General William Barr wasted no time in weaponizing our DOJ as projector and protector of presidential power, rather than a guardian of justice for all citizens. His opening act, mischaracterizing the Mueller report, was as cynical as it gets. He knew truth would out, but figured if his lies got there first, he could count on Fox “news” and other rightwing media to bury Mueller’s real findings. Calling the investigation “… a grave injustice… unprecedented in American history” (maybe he never met Hillary Clinton), he expected Trump’s supporters to accept his version, facts be damned. They did, and still do. The truth is, Robert Mueller was too soft.

It’s gotten worse. Here, in cronylogical order, are some of Barr’s lesser-known offenses, presaging his recent explosion of two-handed digital salutes to democracy: he undertook a spurious anti-trust action against a few small cannabis producers; he went after automakers for rejecting Trump’s deregulation by agreeing to California’s clean-air rules (like the Constitution, federalism is important to Republicans only when it suits them); asked how history would judge his actions, he said, “History is written by the winners.”

But it’s the recent, blatant attacks on separation of powers, on elections, and on peaceful protests that confirm his true nature and purely Trumpophilic agenda. If “evil” is too inflammatory, what else shall we call turning the DOJ into an attack-dog for an all-powerful “president,” accountable to no one, not even the electorate? This is America, after all; not Trump’s idolized Russia.

Barr’s effort to end the case against Michael Flynn, who’d pleaded guilty to two counts of perjury, is the least of it. Where shall we place his approval, around which he danced like Sean Spicer on DWTS, of the brutal removal of peaceful protestors so Trump could perform his Bible-walk desecration? As threatening as it was to the First Amendment, it’s still not his worst. The soviet-style purging the Southern District of New York of its US Attorney, mid-investigation of Trump’s shady businesses and henchmen, ranks higher, even as he fumbled so clumsily in his desperation to get it done.

The man he fired, Republican Geoffrey Berman, garners bipartisan respect as a man of integrity. For a replacement, Barr chose a golf-buddy of Trump who’s never prosecuted a case of any sort. He has, however, lawyered for Deutsche Bank, fined for laundering billions in Russian mob money, provider of millions in loans to Trump. Suspicious? Not to Senate Rs and incorrigible Trumpists. If it were Eric Holder similarly protecting President Barack Obama, would we hear such high-decibel silence?

As egregious as that full-frontal attack on constitutional democracy is, there’s something still worse: namely, his transparently craven lie about voting by mail. Ignoring his role as defender of free and fair elections, he simply made up warnings about the most powerful way to circumvent Republicans’ undemocratic vote-suppression tactics. It “opens the floodgates for widespread fraud,” he conjured. Foreign governments could create a deluge of fake ballots, he prophesied. Right. Tailored to each of thousands of precincts and parishes? Then what? Bring bulging bags to post offices around the country? “Pleez to be taking for mail. Eez okay no problem.”

We expect perpetual prevarication from our perfidious “president,” but Barr is the putative chief law-enforcer of our country, lying between his jowls, not caring how preposterous; protecting his boss, scorning the American people.

A word about Trump’s inaction over Russia paying Taliban fighters $100,000 per killed US and coalition soldier. While Congress is briefed on the mounting evidence and other countries share theirs, only three entities deny it: Russia, the Taliban, and Trump, the boy who cried hoax. Res, as they say on the streets, ipsa loquitur 
Finally, on this Independence Day, consider the obvious consequences of having a “president” who ignores intelligence, whether it’s about a pandemic or the actions of his “friend” and our enemy, Putin, and so much more; who, while our country is torn asunder by fear and hate of fellow citizens, chooses to make it worse. As campaign strategy. 

20 comments:

  1. seeker of wisdom and truthJuly 3, 2020 at 9:25 AM

    The "clan" is now firmly ensconced in Jonestown with Barr in charge of preparing the Kool-Aid. The congressional investigation team is about to arrive in Guyana to rescue the few idol worshippers who want to save themselves from the inevitable holocaust.
    The remaining pilgrims are choosing nirvana for their families. Their search for truth is completed by the promises of eternal rapture from the "wise-0ne".
    The guns are locked and loaded.
    Autocracy prevails over democracy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sid. I still read you sometimes. Sometimes it makes me depressed tho, because you affirm the crap I think about. Affirmation is nice sometimes, but bad medicine when it affirms the bad juju my little mind can't escape. But hey, that Franky is one hell of a mental giant, eh? So full of well intentioned wonderful wit. He reminds me of those wonder folk just down the road from me at the Dixie Outfitters in Branson craving attention, to be noticed. One that Asimov speaks of I'm sure.

    It's a vicious circle tho. I used to write my rep, my senators, the whorehouse (oops), and John Roberts at the SCOTUS, and the DOJ all the time. Sometimes, when I didn't use profanity, I even got a reply from my rep. Jason Smith. My senators have never replied profanity or not. The SCOTUS has never replied. Niether has Bill "butthead" Barr. I suppose those who don't reply just don't give a shit about little folks like me. But when Jason replied mostly it was patronizing bullshit like- "duly elected" and "my honor" and other profane crap. So, I don't write anymore. Instead, when I feel the urge I go outside and find a nice spot to bash my head against the brick wall. Afterwards I feel much better. I also like to stick my head in the sand, no TV, no internet, no cell phone. Then I feel like a human again. Even woke up with morning wood the other day. But eventually, the digital social distancing can only go so far, I no longer live in an analog world. The vicious cycle starts again. I'm old enough, I guess, that I don't understand how to be happy in an Autocracy. It's jacked I tell ya. It's jacked. Don't mind me tho, I'm okay. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always good to hear from you, Cory. There was a time when I justified writing these columns on the basis that it allowed me to let off steam; stave off depression. It ain't working anymore if it ever did. I don't see how a thinking, non-medicated, sober person could see Trump's MAGA and not be depressed.

    It's getting worse, and Trump is happy to feed the fire. People aiming guns at peaceful protests, grandmas hollering they're gonna teach their grandkids to hate black people. This is 100% on Trump. Not the racism, per se, but the unleashing of it, making it okay, encouraging it.

    Congrats, though, on the morning wood. I hope you didn't let it go to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys---- lol

    Just an old cranky nurse here. Depression has become a relative thing. I listened to Peter Navarro today and about barfed. Each and everyone more vile than the last, but you are right Swabbie, Barr is the most evil, I think he puts Roy Cohn to shame with his slight of hand tap dancing all over the courts. Unfortunatly I have increased my tolerance for beer to just try to remain moderately sane.

    Hope you are all staying healthy, we have to make it through November. Now when I find something to laugh about, it is usually just something completely absurd. So, just saying you are not alone in this rage. Patience is wearing thin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though we sit on different sides of the aisle, I still read everything you write. Not always agreeing, but to see a logical presentation of opposing arguments. Then, of course, simply to expand my vocabulary. "Cronylogical"...I bow to a master!

    ReplyDelete
  6. seeker of wisdom and truthJuly 4, 2020 at 11:09 AM

    I miss attending the 4th of July parade today. It was an opportunity to joyfully celebrate the patriotism by Americans united, not divided, to honor our mutual heritage as freedom loving and justice seeking people.
    The evil influence of separatist hate mongers like Steve Bannon and Stephen Miller on the egomania of the Drumphster has hugely magnified the division of political discourse that is occurring today in our great country. This division will destroy a democracy. Drumph's rally speech in South Dakota last night demonized democrats as terrorist traitors.
    Presidential advisors like Bannon, Barr, and Miller do not promote the American ideals of freedom and justice for ALL AMERICANS. We can silence their tyranny in November. VOTE

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I voiced my observations and fears about Barr when we were still able to comment on the Herald site. He's more dangerous than Drumpf by far and therefore, more evil. I am figuratively holding my breath until November and dreaming of who we can put into some of these positions when Biden is president.

    VP: Kamala Harris or Val Demings
    AG: Adam Schiff
    State: Gretchen Whitmer
    HHS: Andrew Cuomo
    DOD: Pete Buttigieg
    DNI: Malcolm Nance or Naveed Jamali (look them up)
    DHS: Stacey Abrams
    FBI: Chris Wray (he's done a good job)
    CIA: Malcolm Nance or Naveed Jamali
    NSA: Barack Obama (imagine the outrage!)
    Treasury: Elizabeth Warren
    Education: Michael Bennett

    All those folks would be really good at the jobs, and as a bonus--they understand how important it is to have effective government run by competent people. The only downside of many of them is that they already hold elected office and my other hope is that we capture the Senate again. We can't fix the mess the Republicans have made (again) if we don't have both houses. Local governments too, but that's another thread.

    I'd also like to see all these departments re-staffed (not over-staffed) possibly with some of the good people who were $h!t canned by all the losers in the current administration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a good list, MEH. How nice it'd be to have actually qualified and competent people in those positions. I kinda like BHO for SCOTUS, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In addition to undoing the worst president's headcount slashing, and moving departments and staff back to DC, it would be interesting to compile a (wish)list of day-one actions by Biden.

    What items of the worst president's potential legacy would you like to see him take a torch to? Maybe a future column at an appropriate time, Sid? The most obvious would be removing the worst president's unfinished wall and selling it for scrap, with the proceeds going to an agency or something that would enrage the worst ex-president.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There could be a festival, of sorts, at the wall, with prizes for breaching it the quickest. Prizes for climbing, with and without equipment; for cutting through it, for prying it apart. Make a nice joke of it.

    Give a speech at Mt Rushmore, with an image of Trump as clown, projected next to Lincoln.

    Not really Joe's style, though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No, not Joe's style for either of our imaginings. There are plenty of serious and productive steps that Biden can take that will feel like a torch to the worst ex-president.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Doc SL said ...
    > it would be interesting to compile a (wish)list of day-one actions by Biden.

    I've seen a couple of those lists on Twitter. They generally include pressing criminal charges against Barr and a gaggle of Trump family members, plus rescinding a boatload of Trump's executive orders.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Sid, I like--no, scratch that--LOVE the idea of Obama on the Supreme Court. LOVE! Again, imagine the outrage but in reality, he'd be very good. Constitutional scholar and all that, you know.

    I forgot to include someone for Energy or Interior because I really want us to codify the environmental and National lands' protections Obama began. With both houses and Biden, we can put things in writing not just in Executive Orders.

    I would also like to see the Fairness Doctrine reinstituted. Fox "news" has got to be reined in, and I admit--so does MSNBC. I personally, love the left leaning content, but it truly isn't balanced. Yes, yes--I know that even though I am an Upper-Lefty born and raised. You should hear some of the arguments I have with my North Dakota relatives... no, you shouldn't. I have recently had to block two of them for being what I call bomb throwers.

    In the earlier comments about depression, I will submit that I have recovered from clinical depression which was a black hole I never want to see coming toward me again. I am a big proponent of anti-depressant meds and I haven't touched alcohol in over 16 years. Both of those things changed my life and I am not going back--ever. I don't think what I feel about our current politics and the state of our nation is depression. It is anger, frustration, and sometimes disbelief. If I were still depressed, I wouldn't see a way out. If I were still depressed, I wouldn't want to fight for what I believe is right. I truly believe to my core that we are all meant to thrive and succeed. If we are ALL not doing well, NONE of us is doing well.

    Pollyanna, out.

    Oh, and P.S. Everyone should make a point to see Hamilton on Disney Plus. I subscribed to them just for that reason and I promise you, it will thrill you beyond what you can imagine. Forget the "rap music" and "hip-hop music" denigrations close-minded persons might use to keep you away. There are plenty of musical numbers to delight and it is also a visual treat. Trust me on this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mythigator said ...
    I've seen a couple of those lists on Twitter. They generally include pressing criminal charges ...

    Three columns ago, I pointed to a paper that examined what drives the vindictiveness of Trump voters. It identified a feeling of gaining "personal significance" from supporting Trump's hostile actions. Do we gain personal significance from imagining and wishing for erasure of Trump's and Barr's records? Are we being vindictive? I think not. We simply long for a return to normal — a true "Be Best".

    Mary Ellen Hardy said...
    I will submit that I have recovered from clinical depression ...
    ...
    I am a big proponent of anti-depressant meds ...


    Been there, done that, and I concur. Antidepressants are remarkably effective.


    ReplyDelete
  15. Always nice to hear from you, Frankie. Not something I'd publish here, but it's good to know you're still alive. Email me if you want a conversation. Meanwhile, happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. seeker of wisdom and truthJuly 7, 2020 at 11:46 AM

    Dr. Schwab,
    I would like your thoughts on this concern I have struggled with:

    50 years ago I read William L. Shirer's book "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" documenting his experiences as a journalist while covering the Nazi phenomenon from Hitler's birth through the end of WWII. Goebbels and Hitler were able to rally wide spread support from the majority of German citizens who identified themselves as "christians". That is despite the actual facts they were not employing the teachings and living examples commanded by Christ to follow themselves.
    It is obvious today that this phenomenon is repeating itself under the evil leadership of Bannon and Drumpf. They are demonizing democrats and racial minorities to rally the so-called "christian" majority to keep them in power.
    Do you have personal thoughts that might address this concern of mine?

    ReplyDelete
  17. My thoughts are like yours: mystification that anyone calling themself a Christian can support Trump. Even more than the inexplicability of actual conservatives supporting him.

    For some evangelicals, it seems to be a perverse belief that his "presidency" will hasten the Apocalypse (which, in ways they may not be thinking, could well be true). For others, it's somehow becoming convinced that he's a savior of their faith, despite the fact that he's demonstrably the most un-Christian person ever to hold the position. And all conservatives ought to be appalled at his rejection of oversight and separated powers.

    And, of course, despite denials, there's the racism. Or, to be more generous, the coming together, cult-like, to be with people with whom they have some things in common. A reaction to the scary -- to them -- browning of America.

    The bottom line may be just that humans are deeply flawed beings: subject to mob rule, needing scapegoats for their own problems, turning to magical thinking when clarity is called for in tough times. My theory is that humans have come to the point where the problems they've created are too complex for human brains to handle and we're going into "tilt" mode.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree Sid. I've probably posted this here before, but perhaps you will indulge me again:

    The optimist in me still hopes that it is possible, someday, to create the best of all possible worlds. My pessimistic side fears that perhaps we already have.

    My studies in geology, as well as a lifelong interest in astronomy and human history, give me reason to take the (very) long view. So things could get better, eventually...

    ReplyDelete
  19. seeker of wisdom and truthJuly 8, 2020 at 3:20 PM

    Dr. Schwab,
    Thank you for sharing your wisdom regarding my incredulous analysis of the popular support ceded to this evil regime by the religious right. It is as if they desire to punish themselves purposely to deny others the rewards of living in a hard won democracy.
    It surely will result in stopping the immigration of non-white pilgrims (which is likely their goal). No freedom loving seeker of justice and equal opportunity will want to live here.
    "Give me your tired, your poor,your huddled masses yearning to breathe free"
    Emma lazarus' New Colossus should not be replaced by Drumpf and Bannon's "wall-building" credo of isolation and prejudice.

    ReplyDelete

Comments back, moderated. Preference given for those who stay on topic.

Popular posts