Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Feather, Knocked Over By


It's not that we didn't already know, but the guy who lied us into invading Iraq has recently admitted that virtually everything he said -- which was the foundation of President Cheney's rationale for going there, and Colin Powell's sad performance at the UN -- was made up. Lies, deliberate lies.

The defector who convinced the White House that Iraq had a secret biological weapons programme has admitted for the first time that he lied about his story, then watched in shock as it was used to justify the war.

Rafid Ahmed Alwan al-Janabi, codenamed Curveball by German and American intelligence officials who dealt with his claims, has told the Guardian that he fabricated tales of mobile bioweapons trucks and clandestine factories in an attempt to bring down the Saddam Hussein regime, from which he had fled in 1995.


Gee, poor Dick and Colin: how could they have known? Because the head of CIA Europe told them not to trust him, that's how!!

Tyler Drumheller, who says he warned the head of the US intelligence agency before the 2003 invasion of Iraq that Curveball might be a liar, said the confession would be a final wake-up call for the hawks who continued to believe that there had been WMD but that the CIA had been "too stupid" to find them.

"The interesting part for me is that he has recanted what he said, which is fascinating in the sense that I think there are still a number of people who still thought there was something in that. Even now," he said.


Well, it's not like the hyping of lies had any real consequences, other than a few hundred thousand lives and a couple trillion USD lost. It's not as if it's had any adverse effects on the lives of tens of thousands of surviving soldiers and wrecked the economy. I mean, after all: we got a fine democracy out of the deal, showed Iran a thing or two, made Muslims around the world love us. Right?

And here we are arguing over whether our current president, who saved the auto industry, passed a law to provide health care to millions of uninsured, is overseeing a (too-slow, but undeniable) turnaround of the economy, is deliberately trying to destroy America. While the name of George W Bush has virtually disappeared from the lips of the RWS™ and it's as if Mitt Romney never heard of the guy.


4 comments:

  1. Y'know, we're sorta like Siskle & Ebert.
    I'm the balding, cool, ascerbic guy, your the fat doofus, rending his garment over people not staying through the credits...
    Yeah, I know, Siskel died Insane and Penniless, well I've got plenty of pennies.
    I even steal em from those "Take a Penny" cups, What a Country!!!

    Anyway, I''ll re-butt your butt Seri-atum style.
    1: "a few hundred thousand lives"??
    I was hopin it was a few million, and thats what happens in Wars, you kill millions of the other guy, execute there leaders, and they hate you for 200 years.

    2:Funny, but I seem to remember "Strong Democratic Majorities" voting overwhelmingly to invade I-ran.
    I even think your center-fold Hilary Clinton supported it.

    3: All those "soldiers" you care so much about?
    Well Marines hate being called "Soldiers" almost as much as Navy Corpsmen hate being called "Corpse-Man"
    Anyway, its a Volunteer Military last time I checked, which is why I got out as soon as my obligation was up.
    Easy decision really, make $150,000, live where they tell you, get bossed around by Nurses..
    OR make (I'd tell you but then you'd kill yourself) live where I want, and get bossed around by Nurses...
    Well 2/3 isn't bad.

    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I got out as soon as my obligation was up"

    “The fact that someone dies for a cause does not make the cause a good one.”

    Of course you knew that; you're insane but not stupid.

    And I guess you didn't try to prevent any “Volunteers” from making what you obviously believed to be a bad move.

    But, better them than you! Right?

    Their families got a flag; they got a patriotic hole in the ground.

    There's a penny for your thoughts!

    EugeneInSanDiego

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Eww-Gene

    Despite my Woman-Folk-Like Lamentations, my eldest Daughter is determined to be a Navy Pilot.
    And I admit, despite my belief in Capitalism, there aren't many jobs flying Fa-18's outside the Government.
    Maybe its cause I played the theme to "Top Gun" endlessly while she was In Utero, Genetics, or Surepticiously taking her pic in an FA-18C Cockpit when she was 3...
    And I admit, I hope by the time she's flying an F-35, probably 2017, The Muslim-in-Chief-of-the-US(MICOTUS)will have pulled the 100,000 Troops who aren't in Iraq/Afghanistan, out of Iraq/Afghanistan.
    There! I said I want the Wars in Iraq/Afghanistan finished,

    Frankie "The Nose" Drackman

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I want the Wars in Iraq/Afghanistan finished

    When it's someone else s kid It looks different than when it's your kid.

    My schizo-christian brother in law used to say he was raising his sons to be soldiers; now that they are military age, he says "Well, not everybody needs to be a soldier."

    Nothing like one's own ox in the ditch for an opinion changer!

    EugeneInSanDiego

    ReplyDelete

Comments back, moderated. Preference given for those who stay on topic.

Popular posts