Friday, July 26, 2019

I Get Complaints


My next newspaper column:
Oh, the letters expressing dismay at my writing. They’re right, of course. In the twilight of my life, I’ve devolved from a surgeon who received high praise and produced (mostly) excellent results, to a curmudgeon micturating into the wind. (I’d suggest a certain disapproving but admirably centenarian teacher recall the words Mark Anthony delivered prior to those about which she did figuratively ope her ruby lips, however.) (A local reference to a recent letter.)  
But this is beyond “Get off my lawn.” I see bulldozers, plants being uprooted, defoliants poured on the greenery. Ugly specters leer in the windows, dripping gas and lighting matches, threatening my grandchildren. Not just an old flatulent, though I am that, I’m calling for help from my neighbors. You’re next, even if you don’t see it, I cry. Help us, I shout, in frustration, fear, and exasperation. Help us all, even if you figure, hey, it’s not my house. It will be.  
If the destruction kept escalating, while your neighbors stood mute, would you go gentle into that good night? Not me. I’m shouting “fire” in a crowded theater, only it’s not a prank. Flames are everywhere. As are mixed metaphors.  
Those who consider my writing baseless, hate-filled invective are untroubled by Trump’s rhetoric. Not when he says Democrats “want to destroy you.” Not when he says four Congresswomen “hate America,” while lying about what they’ve said. Or when he calls opponents names that would embarrass a five-year-old for lack of originality. Even when he claims “the right to do whatever I want as president.” Every American should find that one horrifying.  
Nor do they object when he eliminates regulations designed to protect them and their progeny from drinking poisoned water, breathing befouled air, getting a subpar education, being trapped in poverty, hungry and desperate. Or when he brings incompetent swamp-dwellers into his Cabinet. Runs up trillion-dollar deficits. (His latest budget proposal is even worse.) You’d think they’d appreciate someone sounding alarums. If they didn’t believe you, would you walk away? I tried that, once.  
Belaying the bombast makes no difference. Those in the thrall of Trump’s vindictiveness and attacks on constitutional governance, and politicians like Lindsey Graham, who act as if they fear Godfather-like reprisals, ignore the dangers beneath the surface of their approval. Wednesday, unable to dispute facts to appease their Mafia don, disgracing themselves and America, Republicans attacked Robert Mueller, all but approving Russia’s acts of war. 
It’s convenient to dismiss my criticism, or anyone’s, as “hate-filled invective.” It rationalizes ignoring the reasons behind heartfelt and, yes, patriotic concerns. When toned down, the facts to which I refer are still called lies. Arguments are still rejected reflexively as a hammered knee, calling me a communist. Which is as far from reality as Trump’s views on climate change.  
After his eagerly-enraged crowd chanted “Send her back,” Trump lied that he tried to stop it, lied that he didn’t approve, then spent days excreting praise. “Go back home” would have been run-of-the-mill, deplorable Trumpism. “Send her back,” though, means round her up and haul her away, an American citizen and elected Representative. Sound familiar? It does to me: having lost relatives in the Holocaust, it sounds like cattle-cars. In their derelict approval, Trump’s rally-goers are but a step or two behind the Kristallnacht rioters. What I feel is nausea, not hate. 
Malign clouds are approaching. Those who don’t see are deliberately looking away. Those who don’t hear the klaxons are fingering their ears. They who do see, who hear and enthuse, confirm how easily would-be dictators turn crowds, even here, into angry mobs, seeking formless, atavistic vengeance. It’s they who hate, need to hate, not me. And they won’t change. Only by being outvoted might they be made to crawl back under their rocks. Which is why they’re targeting free and fair voting.  
I receive more notes of approval than disgust. Still, I’d sleep better if I stopped paying attention. But what of my grandchildren and the future they face? Silence is surrender. 
Which is more harmful: agonal cries of a grandpa with an audience of tens in a tiny corner of the PNW, or the unrelenting promotion of fear, hate, division, and perpetual grievance, the autocratic ignoring of constitutional restraints, by a “president” who’d grab absolute power if he could? Not to mention those thrilled by the prospect, readying their pitchforks for the rounding-up. 
Invective? Nope. It’s a cri de cœur. Open your eyes. Read this.
[Image source]

9 comments:

  1. I'm with you. 100%. Keep it up. We must all raise our voices. Danger lurks. It's terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As one who has been through has been through three auditorium fires (and no, I didn’t set them myself) I’d like to review that rule about not shouting fire in a crowded theater. What in merry hell are you supposed to say when you detect an actual fire in that situation? Do you stay silent, sneak out the back and save yourself? Warn a couple of friends, and split? Or do you stand up, get on stage, and conduct an orderly evacuation? You seem to be trying to do the latter, and I think it’s the only alternative that appeals to a decent person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Attributed to George Santayana ... “Those who can not learn from history are bound to repeat it.” I fear the day is coming when it will be too late to stand. One rallying call heard in Paris in 1968 “Nous Somme tours les Juifs Allemagnes,” We are all German Jews! When will we stand against Trump?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well-said, Doctor... we cannot sit idly by and bemoan the threat inside our house. I fear the Trumpies will not react well when Dolt 45 is voted out of office next year, and it will likely get bloody fast because they are violent cretins who care not about anything other than themselves and their narrow world view. I don't (and won't) own a gun, but you can bet that I'll be ready to fight back... to fight for our democracy... to battle against The Raging Stupidity that is Trumpism.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I were sure Trump will lose. Not sure at all. But if he does, we can be sure Russian trolls will do everything they can to hype the idea that it was stolen. Because in addition to helping Trump because they figured they could use him, their real goal is to sew disruption of the US however they can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "In their derelict approval, Trump’s rally-goers are but a step or two behind the Kristallnacht rioters."

    I disagree...It's more like "LOCK STEP"

    Great job Sid..You nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Very powerful Sid. As much as I have tried lately to insulate myself from the insanity of our dear leader, I have failed. The fear is setting in. The lack of presidential decorum and leadership is benign in comparison to the blatant and absolute corruption of the senate majority leader refusing to address election security. The lack of immediate and absolute backlash to his inaction, I fear, is direct and undeniable evidence that the idea free and fair elections are meaningless, are now but a memory. I understand fully our constitution is now meaningless. I understand the division we live with now, will not heal itself, will become much worse. I grieve for the foolishness that infects our humanity. I fear the rabid foaming and frothing serves as a warning of what will come.

    Thank you for bearing witness. I read the comments in the Herald and fear your safety has been sacrificed. Please be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank You for posting this column. We are not all that far from a Fascist government here in America. You are being a true Patriot,as defined in the dictionary: 1.
    a person who vigorously supports their country and is prepared to defend it against enemies or detractors.
    "a true patriot"

    This differs sharply from tRump's idea of a patriot. His idea is actually a parrot as in parroting tRump's hate and racism.

    Please keep up the Great work, Mr Schwab!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well said sir, once again. There are many of us out here who do not think you exaggerating the level of concern. What to do about it though is the big question. Most of us would prefer to express our disapproval at the ballot box but with this present day GOP in power I am concerned about the extent of damage done before the election. Much will not be able to be undone later. As you are, I am concerned for the well-being of my children and grandchildren. Please continue speaking truth

    ReplyDelete

Comments back, moderated. Preference given for those who stay on topic.

Popular posts