Friday, February 4, 2011

Good For Him


George W. Bush, hardly my favorite person, said something impressive recently.
On January 24, Former President George W. Bush spoke at Southern Methodist University in Dallas, where his presidential library will be located, and weighed in on immigration. "What's interesting about our country, if you study history, is that there are some 'isms' that occasionally pop up -- pop up. One is isolationism and its evil twin protectionism and its evil triplet nativism. So if you study the '20s, for example, there was -- there was an American first policy that said who cares what happens in Europe?...And there was an immigration policy that I think during this period argued we had too many Jews and too many Italians; therefore we should have no immigrants. And my point is that we've been through this kind of period of isolationism, protectionism and nativism. I'm a little concerned that we may be going through the same period."

It was not gladly met by the RWS™ of course, but I give him credit for taking on his own party's hard-core drift.

What's next? Siding with his daughter on gay marriage? Don't hold your breath.


1 comment:

  1. I LIKE immigration, how else could a middle class like me afford a Bosnian Housekeeper/Dominican Lawn Crew/Panamanian Pool Guy/Korean SAT Tutor/Rumanian Massusse?
    And who cares if Animal Control/Police come to my predominantly Korean neighborhood about as often as Dick Chaney goin to a Grateful Dead Concert?...No skin off my big nose if they don't pay Uncle Sam his cut, I ain't gunnin for Surgeon General(Can you imagine a Gas-Passer as SG?:)
    And "W"s-"O"s Tax Cuts basically paid for my House, and probably a good portion of yours to, if your honest.
    So in the spirit of Bye-Partisinship, I give "O" (Peace be upon Him") a hearty "Thanks Bud" for not raising the 35% bracket/cutting FICA 2% even for rich basterds like me/not raising the income subject to FICA, which in effect is a 12% tax cut/incentive to make more than $106,000/Keeping A-rab Terror-ists in Guantanmo without bail/trial/

    Frank "1099 THIS" Drackman

    ReplyDelete

Comments back, moderated. Preference given for those who stay on topic.

Popular posts