Friday, November 30, 2012

Comment Commencing Comments



I've heard from a few readers lately who've said they miss being able to comment. I miss having them, too, for the most part. I think my reason for stopping them was rising frustration over the political scene during the campaign, and a feeling of not needing any more aggravation. Most legitimate (to use a word having recent political implications) comments are not, in fact, aggravating. Having gotten rid of word verification, though, I got tons of spam; and whereas it's only a click to get rid of it, it's really annoying. Plus, once in a while Blogger fails to email me about a new comment, and sometimes I forget to check the pending page, so some people end up thinking I've shit-canned them when I haven't.

But what the heck! Not allowing comments seems a little cowardly. I'd said I'd post the occasional emailed comments, like Andrew Sullivan does. But he gets a few million hits a month and, presumably, tons of emails. Here, not so much.

Anyhow, let's go at it again. Comments will resume, sparse as they may have been and will be. And since I've also heard from people who thought the kibosh was the right move, I'll be a little more scrupulous in managing what gets through and what doesn't.

Ironically, this comes at a time when my vim vigor and verve are vanishing.

[Update: wow, it took exactly three minutes for the first spam comment to arrive...]

[Image source]

7 comments:

  1. Glad you are accepting comments again.

    Don't say anymore about Lincoln - I want to see it; so don't tell me how it ends!

    EugeneInSanDiego

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Eugene. I always like and respect your posts,
    You must love hu4`

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss comments. I'm glad they are back! If it helps with the spam, why not put word verification back on?

    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having received a few dozen spam comments already, I'm about ready to do that, Lindsey.

    On the other hand, a couple of people complained that the Blogger word verifications are too hard to read, something over which I have no control, but with which I entirely agree. So in not having word verification, I'm taking one for the team. Because that's how I roll.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! That is how you roll, wonderful guy that you are :)

    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yahoo! Was always here but nice to have reciprocal communication. Yay!

    ReplyDelete

Comments back, moderated. Preference given for those who stay on topic.

Popular posts