"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." Orwell
"“The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.”
Plato
"The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant" Robespierre
Saturday, March 23, 2013
Impressive
Check this out. (Click "next" in the link.)
I just spent a half day with a friend, shooting his deer rifles at a firing range. It was fun, and if I'm no Annie Oakley, I didn't embarrass myself. He knows as much about guns as I know about surgery. (Maybe.) I have no problem with that, and I'd be happy to do it again.
How is it, though, that we've become a shooting range on our streets, and in our homes? (Not to mention at gun safety classes.) Where did we go wrong? Or am I wrong in saying we went wrong? Wayne LaPierre, for one, would rather have it continue that way, than to have any legislation whatsoever, aimed at lessening the carnage.
The horse is out of the barn, of course. Nothing -- not even background checks, the best we could hope for in legislation -- will significantly change it. But it's pretty amazing to contemplate: alone among "civilized" countries, our nation is home to nearly unimaginable horror due to guns, on a daily basis. There's nothing to be done about it. And it seems millions are fine with it.
Who are we?
[Image source]
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular posts
-
I have nothing to say about the murder of Dr Tiller that hasn't been said and responded to at all levels of rhetoric, on both sides. To ...
-
Looking forward to Bobby Knight's speech at the RNC. And at the ads Ds will (one would hope) run at that time, showing him throwing ...
-
My next newspaper column: Last week I wrote that Rudy Giuliani invested $2 million in the maker of Trump’s touted malaria drug. Thoug...
-
“I alone can fix it,” he announced, to delirious cheers, after which he proceeded to prove he couldn’t: budget deficits, healthcare, Mex...

Wayne LaPierre, I am told, got himself out of the draft by claiming a nervous disorder, ie too mentally unfit to shoot in a war.
ReplyDeleteSo he's created a whole different one, both in his head and on our streets and we are all the worse off for it. And no wonder he doesn't want background checks: they might get him declared unfit, as he once so declared himself.