Thursday, June 20, 2013

Nuclear Option



Along with a strange and puzzling credulity about "alternative" medicine, the horror of vaccines, and the transcendent value of drum circles, reflexive opposition to nuclear power is one of the things that bug me about certain liberals.

Which is not to say that concerns are without merit. On the other hand, Chernobyl was an antiquated system and nearly impossible to reproduce with more modern plants. I gather that storage of waste is less of a problem now than it was when Hanford was built.

I worry about that stuff, too; but the sooner we get off fossil fuel, the obviously better. Leave it in the ground, where god intended it. All I'm saying is it shouldn't be a write-off out of hand. Liberals, as they generally do when it comes to science -- aforementioned lacunae damnably excepted -- should accept the possibility that nuclear power can be made as safe as other forms; and be open to embracing it as a cost-effective and efficient alternative to oil and coal and gas. The movie, which I haven't yet seen, attempts to make that case.

(Thanks, Dougie, for sending me the link.)


No comments:

Popular posts