Wednesday, June 12, 2013

We Can Handle It



Yet again, Charles P. Pierce nails it:


... Tell me what is being done in my name and I can decide on the level of my own complicity. 
Tell me what is being done in my name and I can decide that I don't want to be complicit at all. 
Tell me what is being done in my name and I can be a citizen, in full, of a self-governing political commonwealth. That's your job. That's what those three words, and that great comma, [he means "We, the people"] are about. Don't tell me it's for my own good. I'm not 12. I know what is for my own good. Don't tell me to trust you. That ship sailed long ago. Goddammit, tell me. 
Tell me what is being done in my name. 
And I'll decide if it should continue or not.  
Tell me what is being done in my name. 
And I'll tell you if you should keep doing it or not. 
I will govern and not be governed. 
Tell me. 
Just tell me. 
Before someone else does, with a leak, or a bomb, or an airplane into a building. 
Tell me what is being done in my name. 
So I can be ready, when the time comes.

Read the whole thing, at the above link. It's the essential demand, and dilemma, of a free society. (Assuming there is such a thing.)

[Image source]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments back, moderated. Preference given for those who stay on topic.

Popular posts