Friday, July 15, 2011

Patriotism



Item:

"Now is a time for choosing. Now is your time for choosing. As I pointed out to John Boehner yesterday, despite what the pundits in Washington are telling you, it is you and not Obama who hold most of the cards. Obama has a legacy to worry about. Should the United States lose its bond rating, it will be called the “Obama Depression”. Congress does not get pinned with this stuff," - Erik Erikson, RedState.

What shocks the conscience here is that Erikson isn't denying that the U.S. might lose its bond rating and spiral into a depression - he just thinks a win for Team R is worth causing immense suffering to millions of people around the world. And House Republicans appear to be reading this.


Surprised? Not me. These guys just don't care. Plus, they're aggressively ignorant, and proud of it.

As I pointed out earlier today, these are the completely cynical idiots in whose hands our future lies, who've been elected by actual American voters.


3 comments:

  1. "Montana Joe:" (comment not published)

    I'm sorry to see you're still nasty and bitter. I'd hoped that by now the influence of your lovely wife, the passage of time, fond memory, and the beauty of Twain Harte might have mellowed you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S., "Montana Joe"

    We saw a movie today during which I thought of you several times: I think you and Jeannie would like it. It's called "Buck," a documentary about a guy and his abilities with horses. Amazing background, rescued by good people. Near the end there's a part that you might take personally, when he talks about raising a horse born damaged, comparing it to raising a kid. But there's no similarity to your situation, and it's in spite of that that I think you'd really like it. Not likely ever to come to the Twain Harte cineplex, but it's worth looking for.

    In the same vein, there's a book that, in another time and space, I'd have sent to you by now. "Lost in Shangri-La" about a rescue of crashed WWII pilots...

    I know how indispensable your hatreds have become to you, so if you ever see/read either, you can forget I recommended them. I know I will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow, Frankie: you actually addressed the point of a post. I'll mark down the date, maybe tattoo it onto my forehead.

    BHO has addressed that vote many times, saying it was a "rookie mistake." Raising the debt ceiling ought to be a separate issue; the fact is everyone is committed to addressing deficits. You know, getting the budget back to balance like it was under Clinton.

    Seems to me that, since the ceiling has been raised countless times, and that all the R leaders now posturing have voted for it in the past, it's not the most important issue. Other than, oh, the devastation it'd cause were it not to happen.

    The big issue, on which everyone is now on board, is fixing deficits. Which (assuming Rs will wise up and allow the revenue increases Obama has asked for) will cure the debt. Math.

    ReplyDelete

Comments back, moderated. Preference given for those who stay on topic.

Popular posts