His first political instincts were the standard ones: lie (cf: Anthony Weiner). But, unlike the successful ones, he didn't know when to stop.
But, you know, even that isn't outstandingly outstanding for a politician. What's revelatory is the fact that he now denies he changed his story. That's so blatant you'd think even teabaggers would find it a bridge too for.
1. Politico allegations are false. Story is crap.
2. Yes, there were allegations. But they were false.
3. Yes there were allegations that were false and I don't know what money was paid.
4. I don't know whether money was paid. And it would be wrong for me to find out whether money was paid because it's confidential.
5. There was a in-depth investigation. And I was cleared. But I don't know anything about it.
6. Here's the gesture that led to my getting accused of harassment.
7. Okay, I remember some discussion of a settlement number.