Thursday, March 11, 2021

Seuss Time, Loose Rhyme


I do not like you, Cancun Cruz, 
You make me mad, oh yes you do.
I don’t like seeing you on the news.
The things you say are never true.

The “doctor’s” family changed their mind.
But you said Biden canceled Seuss.
They thought some pictures were unkind.
A lie like yours has no excuse.

Some books will stop, but just a few.
I think that is a thing you knew.
Before you talk about the book, 
Maybe you should have a look.

But you are not the very worst.
You didn’t even get there first.
Your party gave up long ago.
Their actions now are all for show.

Joe Biden’s plans they’d like to ditch
Unless they help the really rich.
Their sponsors’ wishes they’ll engage,
But never raise the mini wage.

What’s that? Did I just hear a Who
Complaining loud about the debt?
Or maybe it was only you.
But Cancun Ted did you forget 

The cost, gee whiz, for goodness sakes
Of budget-busting taxes breaks
For those who needed them the least?
While people starve, your owners feast.

And I don’t like you, Fox’s Tucker.
You always make my sphincters pucker.
(The reader may my praises sing:
I did not rhyme that other thing.)

The watchers of your icky show
Just want to hear you bashing Joe.
When you pretended books were banned,
Just as you hoped, the flames were fanned.

Oh Tucker, you’re a nasty guy.
You could be honest if you’d try.
But you prefer your misdirection
And lies about the insurrection.

Why you do this I don’t know,
But I admit it is your show.
Your viewers only want your fibs,
And love it when you “own the libs”.

It is too bad that’s all you’ve got,
Because it’s causing minds to rot.
Were you like this when you were small?
Did you never care at all?

(I know I mixed the rhyming scheme,
And now there’ll be a meter change.
Does it make you want to scream?
Seuss did it, too; don’t think it strange.)

It looks like we’re stuck with both Tucker and Ted,
Who hope we’ll be madder ‘bout books children read
Than the virus that Donald so carelessly spread.
That’s how they all try to get into your head.

And to think that I saw it on Capitol Hill.
The Rs were obstructing, they’re doing it still.
They all voted not to begin the debate
And forced their poor clerks into staying up late.

Then none of them voted for giving out checks
To people in need who are up to their necks.
They’re not very nice, and of that I am sure.
They act like they’re grinches; I guess always were.

They all voted no, every woman and man,
Weren’t even trying to come up with a plan.
And now that it passed they are trying to take credit, Believe it or not a “no” voter just said it.

“Young man,” someone told me, “you’re sort of a fool. You’ll never catch plans in Republicans’ pool.
They drown all ideas there, and more by the hour.
I guess they’ll keep doing it; it’s their superpower.

If I wait long enough, if I’m patient and cool,
Some say Mitch McConnell will restock the pool
Like Republicans did when they offered a hand
To presidents all, who were leading the land.

But that was back then, when it looked like they cared, And tried to improve how America fared.
Yet now, one and all, they are turning their backs
On people with problems that each of them lacks.

Though most of the voters are in Biden’s groove,
The right-wing decided that they’ll never move
Away from obstructing no matter the harm
To the country whose Trumpists they try hard to charm. 

But they’re charming with falsehood, they know that the truth
Brings voters they fear to the next voting booth.
In every red state they are up round the clock
To figure out ways how those votes they can block.

They want to because of the good we are seeing:
Joe’s getting things done and he’s not even mean.
And unlike his former, he keeps a low profe,
Yet no one must settle for just half a loaf.

Joe meant what he said and he said what he meant
And so far he’s faithful one-hundred-per-cent.

16 comments:

  1. The Dr. Seuss thing really interested me. So I became a scientist of what Ms. Ishizuka wrote, with the help of Mr. Stephens, who for the purpose of report shows he is at UCSD, though he's from UofW Bothell. Here is the actual report link: https://tinyurl.com/8sxtcsd5
    I want you to see the matrix in the Appendix. I think you'll easily see something remarkable, that the ONLY "Anti-Blackness" in the eyes of Ms. Ishizuka is in "If I Ran the Zoo". Note in the matrix also the "Orientalism", and the EIGHT books referenced (i.e. why wa$ the "ban" not all eight?).
    AND, ALSO, note that Ms. Ishizuka is of Japanese lineage. I wonder if she would comment, sometime, on how Chinese people might feel about her speaking up for "Orientalism", considering what the Japanese did to China: https://tinyurl.com/yhfxsywb
    And, Taiwan: https://tinyurl.com/2zpfcwaw , in their 50 year occupation of that island nation.
    I had fun reading your poem, and have concerns the only thing brought of it was a "black" issue, and hope you'll glance at her writings for more irony in what has become a national issue over a for-profit maneuver by the publishers of Dr. Seuss (as you noted last week), and, of course, now Disney, who has been doing this for a half-century, pulling out and re-introducing the same stuff.
    As to what "should" happen with the Dr. Seuss/Disney/whoever-else-can-profit-from race-baiting? I'm just a tiny person on a vast sea of corruption like all this garbage the media throws around daily, much of which hurts people. You see, hate doesn't need much of a catalyst. You've been writing about that for many years now. Only a few more now, I suppose...
    Thanks for the link to the "offensive" image. I saw a white guy with a man-bun that looked the same just yesterday. If the publishers of Dr. Seuss decide to alter the book for re-issue, perhaps they'll dye the tuft of hair green or blue (heck there's a book in just that!). Signed, Democrat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would not surprise me if "anonymous" would love to see Disney re-release "Song of the South"...

      Delete
    2. Sorry. Couldn't hear you. I was listening to Amos 'n Andy.

      Delete
    3. "James Baskett was voted an Academy Honorary Award for his portrayal of Uncle Remus, the first African-American man to win any kind of Oscar."
      He was pretty good in that movie, don't you think?
      It's a new world now. Learned that on Gary Gnu and the Gnu News years ago with my kids. But then, kids changed that word into computer-speak, so they don't know what we meant by that either. At least they're not offended. Yet.
      For instance, Meyers Leonard learned a tough lesson about "forbidden words" recently. Any New Yorker knows what that word is all about. Heck, they know that one across the river, and even in Philly!
      Good thing it's all-for-fun here at Sid's blogspot!

      Delete
  2. Dr.Sid and MS.ks I'm confused. Poetry and riddles are ambiguous to me, but entertaining nevertheless. "How now brown cow?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry 'bout that. Just having fun. Happy to clarify on demand.

      Delete
  3. I may be alone in this, but I have never been a fan of Dr. Seuss. Not as a child, not as an adult.

    That's it. That's my comment. Have it it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not in a box or with a fox?

      Dr. Seuss was the first books I read. It was like todays online learning academy. If you could read Dr. Seuss in the 1st grade you were ahead of the curve. We're talkin' 1970-71.

      They have sentimental value to me.

      Delete
  4. Bernie!

    Why should tax payers subsidize Walmart, McDonald's and Dollar General?(just to name a few)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hv5x3txvjY

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hv5x3txvjY

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess this has something to do,
    With my poem although it is true,
    That I can't be real sure.
    And I know there's no cure,
    So I'll stop trying...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Joe Biden’s plans they’d like to ditch
      Unless they help the really rich.
      Their sponsors’ wishes they’ll engage,
      But never raise the mini wage.

      What’s that? Did I just hear a Who
      Complaining loud about the debt?
      Or maybe it was only you.
      But Cancun Ted did you forget"

      "The cost, gee whiz, for goodness sakes
      Of budget-busting taxes breaks
      For those who needed them the least?
      While people starve, your owners feast."

      Delete
    2. Okay, okay, I get your point.
      I might just have to smoke a joint
      And turn it off for just a while,
      Tho bailing out is not my style.

      Delete
  6. Well, I want to believe some headlines this morning for a change, that Congress to vote on Dreamers becoming citizens and reform for farm workers.
    I vote yes, and vote for people who vote yes on those.
    "Joe meant what he said and he said what he meant
    And so far he’s faithful one-hundred-per-cent."
    If I could ask, on top of all, for Friedman's negative income tax as a way of accomplishing Bernie's desires for an equality of sorts for the poor. Paid for, from top-down. If Joe needs advice on how to accomplish this, I've worked out the details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let him know, next time I see him.

      Delete
    2. That's good. Then, at least there's a chance...

      Delete

Comments back, moderated. Preference given for those who stay on topic.

Popular posts