Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Arthur Of The Missing Stomach



There’s lots to say about Mike Esper’s book, with its too-tardy revelations of Trump’s lunatic, despotic inclinations. But it’s too depressing, because, rather than reflecting on our narrow escape, Trumpists don't care. Their ideal of a “great” America is Saudi Arabia. So, for a needed mental health break, here’s a surgical diversion:

High on my list of favorite operations was surgery on the stomach: the anatomy is neat, the re-plumbing alternatives clever, technical challenges rewarding, and, because it’s well-supplied with blood, complication-free healing is pretty predictable. Also, several procedures were conceived by and named for history’s pioneer surgeons, and it’s nice to feel the connection, heir to the discoveries and invention of the greats. Herewith, the story of a recipient of one of my favorite operations.

Already slight and small, Arthur A. had been diagnosed with stomach cancer, located where removing his entire stomach was necessary. He was a "whatever-you-say-Doc" sort of guy, but his wife was literally beside herself. Vibrating in such a way as to appear to be two people must be how the "beside herself" expression came to be. That's what she was doing. "How can he live like that? He'll starve to death!! Look at him!! How can I feed him? What can he eat? I can't cook like that. What'll I do? What'll I do?"

It's entirely reasonable, of course, to be shocked by the idea of an absent stomach, but she was letting my words bounce off without sticking, like tennis balls off a wall. I was telling her that most people, especially older folks, get along surprisingly well without a stomach, that he'd probably be able to eat whatever he wanted, but in smaller portions. There’d be no special diet. No absolute restrictions. He should try whatever sounds good to him, and we can see what works, modify if necessary.

Boing, boing, my words ricocheted, un-received. But there wasn't much choice; it’s what he needed, and as our meetings continued, I managed -- calling upon my fabulous communication skills -- to lower the vibratory amplitude. Relative calm prevailed.

The operation went fine, despite finding that the tumor had grown directly into the left lobe of Mr. A’s liver, requiring that I take a pie-shaped slice of it along with the whole stomach. The reconstruction techniques are part of why surgeons like being surgeons. The way I did it for him and most other candidates involves fashioning a sort-of neo-reservoir for food at the bottom of the esophagus, along with some fancy intestinal rearrangement to restore continuity. It’s somewhat of a big deal, but it works. Lacking a particular hormone it makes, people missing their entire stomach need monthly B-12 shots, but that’s the only certain nutritional requirement.

Arthur made an uneventful recovery and was ready for discharge in a quick few days. Stopping by his room for a final goodbye, I found his wife -- who'd relaxed a bit as she watched him sailing smooth -- wide-eyed and pale-faced, vibrating anew as a dietician instructed her on a "gastrectomy diet." For which, because of my prior efforts with the wife, trying to preserve the peace, I specifically hadn’t asked.

Delicately as possible, I invited the dietician to join me in the hall, where I explained that this was exactly what the woman did NOT need; that I'd take care of the dietary management myself. Had anyone requested the visit? No, she said. She'd just noted that the man had had a gastrectomy, and had taken it upon herself -- per some protocol or other -- to make the connection. I explained the peculiarity of the situation while she nodded nicely; then returned to the room, taking up where she'd left off, as Mrs. A. levitated to the ceiling.

This sat unwell with me, and there were subsequent, uh, communications. It's my parenthetical opinion that there are many extremely useful services provided by many excellent professionals attached to a hospital. And they should be used. When invited. Carved-in-stone protocols can, on occasion, be counterproductive. But I digress.

After the dietician left, I managed to restore trust that he’d be okay at home, and off they went. At subsequent post-op visits, Mr. A. continued his uncomplicated recovery. His wife, too. And how did he do with his extensive cancer and complex surgery? Two answers: first, about ten years later he dropped by to have his gallbladder removed. Second: around a year after the gastrectomy, my wife and I were eating at a local steak joint. Couple of tables away was Arthur, doing justice to a New York strip and a baked potato, as his wife, calm and cool, did likewise.

They had dessert, too.

3 comments:

  1. I love your medical stories. My godchild/ niece is now a doctor doing her rotations in various areas of residency, and she loves ER medicine the best so far. She lives in Australia, received her MD from Queensland University (I think that's the name, anyway) and has been most recently doing a stint with rehabilitative patients--something like what I just went through with my knee replacement. It bores her. After this assignment, she will be at a clinic in the Outback, and she is very excited to go there. Perhaps these youngsters with all their energy and drive are the perfect ones for what I would consider an assignment in banishment! But there you have it.

    The other night I was with my class reunion committee--all old friends--and began to explain to those who I hadn't seen for a while precisely what the surgeon did in my leg complete with description of the sanding/ filing of the bones and the titanium, stainless steel, and plastic cushiony stuff that is now my knee joint. They made me stop describing it with some green-around-the-gills looks on their faces, but I am still astounded by what was done and because of that, what I am now able to do.

    I know a lot of surgeons get a bad rap being accused of having 'god complexes' but in reality, they are amazing individuals. Oh, BTW, my niece's medical school wants her to return for surgical specialty but she doesn't want that. Undecided about OB/ GYN, Pediatrics, or Emergency, she has a little time to pick her area.

    My sisters and I are strongly encouraging her toward geriatrics or plastic surgery. Selfishly, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting, Sid! To what degree does the removal of the entire stomach interfere with the brain's ability to know when eating becomes a priority? Without hunger pangs would one have to rely on general feelings of weakness or tiredness? Watching the clock?

    It also makes me wonder just how much else the body can do without before an individual would require significant assistance to survive.

    Not really related, but I couldn't "stomach" the arguments and logic in the "The irony in claims of ‘my body, my choice’" letter today. I briefly thought about replying but think that should be done by someone with a uterus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The physiology of hunger is complicated and pretty interesting. Enough that I can't immediately recall it all. But if certain hormones that the stomach secretes are missing, there are other factors -- primarily related to insulin and glucose levels -- that are in the mix and important.

      I'm unaware of problems with inadequate nutrition due to lack of hunger stimuli in totally gastrectomized individuals.

      Delete

Comments back, moderated. Preference given for those who stay on topic.

Popular posts