Wednesday, August 21, 2024

I, Noogerer

 


Sometimes, pointing out Trump’s mental decline and undeniable unfitness for office begins to feel like piling on. With his outrageous lies, insults to those who serve, and transparently impossible promises, he confirms it without need for comment. So, for a strategic break, during which he’ll undoubtedly keep doing it, here’s an off-topic column, from eight years ago:

I think it might be about 12,000. Somewhere I've seen the number of new words people learn in medical school, and whatever the correct amount, it's impressive. Here and there on my surgery blog (surgeonsblog.blogspot.com), I've mentioned some words I enjoy just for the saying: inspissated. Neovascularization. Tachyarrhythmia. Intussusception. Radiculopathy. (Switch one letter, it applies to Trump. Oops. I did it again.) Bezoar.

It's pronounced BEE-zore. I say it like the taunting "air-ball" at a basketball game. (Digression: It's been shown that at every venue, whenever that chant is chunt, it's always in the same notes on the musical scale. F - D, matter of fact.)

In addition to the daunting medical vocabulary we learn, there’s a more esoteric lexicon: unofficial terminology that bubbled into the vernacular and have become universal within certain sub-cultures: gomer; O-sign; Q-sign; lipstick sign; flail. One such has it all: nice sound, excellent meaning, and, in my case, a connection to one of my favorite people. The word is NOOGER.

In the memoir I wrote about surgical training, I described learning to dissect through distorted, inflamed, difficult anatomy. I called the method "delicate brutality." (Too late, it occurred to me that that would have been a better title.) Central to the technique is the ability to nooger; namely, to ootz a finger into a sticky place and wiggle it, pinch it, until you find a way through without poking a hole where you don’t want it. Improper noogering can lead to death, or something similar. In certain circumstances, though, it’s safer than sharp dissection.

Noogering can be done with instruments, too: a sucker, a blunt clamp, closed scissors, often along with the finger. Indeed it requires a combination of delicacy and brutality, plus a sense of touch; of tissue turgor (another good word: turgor) and confidence of anatomy. If you can't tell exactly where a thing is, anatomically, you need to be fairly sure where it isn't.

Not all surgeons need to nooger. Orthopods and neurosurgeons don't. Bone isn't noogerable, and brain, well, God help us... But a general surgeon unfamiliar with noogering is bound for trouble. Important as it is, I can't say how I learned it, or how properly to teach it. But I did, both.

Among my favorite characters from training was the chief cardiac resident, a gangly, soft-spoken but fast-thinking Southern boy, Joe (full name: Joe) Utley. In contrast to the others populating that department, who were various combinations of volatile, egomaniacal, nasty, or, in one case, all at once, Joe was laid-back, engaging, and highly talented. He told dumb jokes, quoted lines from movies (Patton, mostly), played the flugelhorn while wearing a sombrero, and treated me -- his over-worked intern and, later, junior resident -- with respect (although, it could be argued, having an intern and his girlfriend [now wife] over and subjecting them to the horn and the hat was anything but respectful).

I loved the guy. He died recently. I sent a copy of my book, in which he played a prominent role, to his wife; she wrote back that she knew he'd have loved it, and she could imagine him laughing out loud while reading it. That felt good.

When connecting a person to the heart-lung machine, it's necessary to control blood returning to the heart via the vena cava. That requires (did then, anyway) slinging the veins with ties; to do so necessitates dissecting behind those thin-walled, delicate structures, completely encircling them, within the tight confines of the pericardium. Joe had a favorite instrument for the job, a huge clamp with a curved, rounded tip. This he referred to as the "Giant Noogerer."

In those early days in its development, open-heart surgery could be tense and, often, very lengthy. As an intern on the service, because there was always work waiting to be done, stretching into sleeplessness, time in the cardiac room was -- depending on who was in charge -- often unpleasant. With no opportunity to do anything but stand there and answer gotcha questions, the hours dragged on, pushing the day's work further into the night.

With Joe, though, it was fun. Among other reasons, I looked forward each time, as the moment approached, to hearing him ask for the tool. "Giant noogerer," he'd say, hand out, and it always arrived with no need for clarification. With his gentle accent, it sounded like "jahnt nurgrer." If I ever knew, I’ve forgotten what the real name is. In my practice, I never used one. But I noogered, more times than I’d like to count.

1 comment:

  1. It's okay brother...It's a marathon, not a sprint. Usain Bolt ain't got shit on you brother. You'd leave him in an exhausted heap of unwillingness to go on. As you run by and smash through the wall like a cross between Forrest Gump and Godzilla.

    We are all here for the smoke as the kids say. It gets to be a bit too much. Waaay toooo muuuch.

    But the kids have figured it out and it's contagious. "We are in it together, we got this, it's only a matter of time." They are bonded in iron. They've seen us suffer and they have suffered in perpetual war both at home and abroad. They are "blooded". Meaning went into battle and you killed, got killed, or assisted in it. Just like our military.

    So just like in the USMC. I was in weapons company dragon platton. 81mm and 60 mm mortars. 60 cal and 50 cal machine guns and Dragon anti tank missiles.

    At the time. We were the only expeditionary unit in the corps.

    You look right and left on a 25 kilometer hump from before sunrise to after it sets. Everyone is suffering. But I would take on an extra 15 lbs (60 cal machine gun tripod) to 35 lbs. (50 cal machine gun tripod) or my trackers, tracker 16 lbs so they can take a mortar base plate or the 50 cal. When you take that weight off of a suffering Devil Dog? It serves to relieve and revive that Marine AND it motivates EVERYONE. I am an 0351 gunner. Meaning I carry an extra 32 lbs. everywhere. The tracker is 15 lbs that attaches to the missle. There's a big ol' battery in it. Plus? I was the third smallest in the platoon out of 73 Marines. You become a bit of a legend in the battalion. You get called by your FIRST name "Butch" Everyone in the battalion is big huge, because we carry the most weight and go the furthest and the first in. They called us "light infantry"...lol. But you are given the MOS at the end of Boot camp after the graduation ceremony. I had zero clue what 2/7 weapons co. meant. 0351 was a rifleman imo. 0311 is that MOS. The funny part is when I got to weapons school, the first thing I thought was. "Aw shit, it never dawned on me if I did really well, they'd give me the toughest assignment in the corps RE: 0300's. It was a lot more education. It's all the highest asvab scores and big huge bodies. You become an engineer as well. Mines and booby traps. Call our own air cover, arty et al. (no air force attachment). All that jazz. So we get incredibly close.

    That is our kids. They are creative. They can organise better than any demo. They are in touch with the issues and remedies. Just look at the difference between Joe and Kamala. The kids were going to stay home. The disgusted with everyone stays home. Futility sets in. The kids will not concede or give up. They expect no quarter and give no quarter.

    The pendulum has swung back left. It will always be a left of center country for the next 20-50 years after this. History has shown again and again and again. But we have to fight for it on every front. Nobody is better equipped than our kids. Clearly. The girls are not happy. Minorities know what this election means. Men who are supportive of women are the ones I see mobilising now. The kids are dragging the parents into this fight. The kids have youthful exuberance. EXACTLY what we all needed. Just watch Tik Tok etc. There was no memes, tsunami of money or joy of ANY kind. Holding on by fingernails and making excuses is NOT a winning message. No joy on either side. Expecting the voters to absorb and even ignore being pounded to death by the Nazi's whom you can't argue with, when trying to energise voters. Joe was a bitter old man. Today? He's a hero.

    For those who wanted everyone to ignore Joe and put blinders on learned a lesson. That is the old way. Mental conditioning. And today the kids think for themselves. They are just starting to really feel themselves. I see only happy trails. I only see a tsunami of blue. I see states flipping blue.

    As you know. Even military in a war zone gets R and R.

    I admire you my friend. Someday I'll grow up to be just like you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments back, moderated. Preference given for those who stay on topic.

Popular posts