Thursday, August 22, 2013

Five Months? What Took Him So Long?




Although one well might wonder what happened recently that's any different from what's been going on at least since that black family moved into that white house, it's nice to see that clarity can still come to those who sit and wait. 
The co-chairman of the Polk County Republican Party has resigned and changed his party registration to independent, saying the GOP has become too conservative and is condoning “hateful” rhetoric.  
Chad Brown, 34, of Ankeny, had been party co-chairman since March. He said he resigned his position on Aug. 5.  His resignation letter is below... 
Dear Polk GOP Executive Committee Member, I am writing to inform you that I changed my voter registration to Independent today – severing all ties to the Republican Party. Having been a Republican all my life, I did not take this decision lightly. Having spoken with a pastor and having prayed about this for hours, I came to the conclusion that this is my only recourse. I’m disappointed with the Republican Party at the National level. I’m disappointed with the Republican Party at the Statewide level. I’m disappointed with the Republican Party at the Countywide level. I find it increasingly difficult to defend issues and statements made by Party leaders and officials from all three levels...
I fully understand how a person can call her/himself a conservative-- share, even, some of their principles. But to associate oneself with the term "Republican," as it applies to the current iteration of that formerly respectable party, is to announce one's okayness with insanity, with hate, with the deliberate rejection of reality, the proud and unrepentant derogation of education, and the lack of concern for anyone but those who look and think and pray exactly like you.

I don't think that's at all unfair: if you consider yourself a conservative, good for you. We need thoughtful ones. But if you accept the designation of "Republican" nowadays, you've said all I need to know about yourself: you're not to be trusted with our future, and don't deserve respectful inclusion in any part of our national debates.

There. I said it. And I feel better for it.


Popular posts