Sunday, December 9, 2012

Gifts From God



If we don't use fossil fuels, we'll be hurting god's feelings. So sayeth people of (a certain kind of) faith.


Fischer likened the situation to a birthday present he was given at the age of six.
“I opened up a birthday present that I didn’t like, and I said it right out, ‘Oh, I don’t like those,’” the radio host recalled. “And it just crushed — and the person that gave me gift was there. You know, I just kind of blurted it out, ‘I don’t like those.’ And it just crushed that person. It was enormously insensitive of me to do that. 
“And you think, that’s kind of how we’re treating God when he’s given us these gifts of abundant and inexpensive and effective fuel sources,” Fischer added. “And we don’t thank him for it and we don’t use it.” 
“You know, God has buried those treasures there because he loves to see us find them.”
In that context, I wonder what they say about toking on a blunt once in a while... And what about all those poppies?

[The image, sent by a good friend, is of Seattle the day after the election legalizing marijuana. I don't know where she got it. (Actually, it's a real pic of real fog, from years back.)]


1 comment:

  1. My favorite is the families who have lots of children because it's God's will, or because God created the earth "all you can eat" style, or because they believe contraception is sinful.

    It's hard to find ancient trees in the Pacific NW. Easter Island used to be lush; someone cut down the last tree to get there before his neighbor. Living fishermen tell of the abundance and size of fish they saw in their youth which no longer exist. Then there's 19th century Oregon.

    I wish I was above loathing these people. I understand that they are products of their background, and that they are often brighter than I, and that I might believe those things myself under different circumstances. But I can't get over it. As the worry is pointless, I get even madder about the waste of time over it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments back, moderated. Preference given for those who stay on topic.

Popular posts