Sunday, August 8, 2010

Diners' Dilemma


Sometimes a meal is so perfect that I find myself thinking ahead to the end. What, I ponder, should be my last bite? With which gustatory sensation do I want to end the evening, which flavor is to be the lingering memory? It takes a little planning, and isn't often easy.

Well, tough times are everywhere.

Anyway, I was thinking of it tonight as my wife and I worked our way to the end of an excellent meal at a new (to us) place in Seattle. Not fancy, not particularly expensive for what we got; just really nicely done, every portion nearing the perfect Platonic ideal of its iteration. As usual, we ordered different items, and passed them back and forth. It was all good. I made my choice, lined up a couple of forkfuls, followed the plan. It was the right one, tiding me over until the chocolate terrine arrived, thence to take its place among the top ten desserts of my lifetime.

As the world keeps wobbling on its axis, as our politics continue their descent into the impossible, it was a pleasant diversion. Planning the last morsel of a meal, as opposed to contemplating the last days of America.


3 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Please Sid, don't ever stop posting...
    and I know your makin this stuff up, I mean who uses words like "Gustatory", "Platonic" "Terrine"???? What, No Arugula???
    To contrast, I took my daughters to the local Fuddruckers,was a little surprised to see no cars in the parking lot on a Saturday afternoon, till we saw the note on the store sayin they'd gone out of business...
    To be honest, they just moved, cause my 90% Asian neighborhood doesn't like overpriced burgers.
    But didn't feel like driving 30miles roundtrip, especially since i still cant drive, post op day 10 from my cuff repair :(
    So we did the next best thing, down to the local Krogers, bag of generic easy lighting charcoal(Charcoal is this petroleum based product you can use to cook with)Family Size bag of "Golden Potato Chips", some of those good Non-Kosher cheap Pork by product hotdogs, instead of the expensive Hebrew National ones Mrs. D usually makes me buy...and the cheapest fattiest ground beef...
    Got change from my $20.....
    Things are tough all over.

    Frank "Keepin the Sabbath" Drackman...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're half the gasser you claim to be you make twice as much as I ever did, in a large clinic in the PNW.

    Which means you could afford a dictionary, among other things.

    The salad had arugula, and beans that were split lengthwise, barely cooked.

    Chicken thighs, fulsome and free-range (the double amputees presumably well cared for, organically), with crispy skin and moist inner parts. Crostini with scrambled egg and garlic, others with liver paté and braised peppers. Tart as your tongue, smooth as your chin.

    I don't know what terrine means, either, in the context of chocolate, but this was like a mousse, dark as your heart and dense as your soul, perfected with whipped cream and bits of nut brittle, also like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm probably 3 times as much when you factor in Jaw-Jaw's cheaper cost of living...
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you DID eat "Arugula" which reminds me ot the sound Submarines made when they dived on those old WW2 Movies...
    We had Pork & Beans, fresh from the can, 79 cents with your Kroger Plus card.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA "Free Range" Chicken??? They really have that?? I thought it was just on that Seinfeld episode...
    "Fulsome" isn't that where Johnny Cash played???
    Don't have a dictionary, but Google says it means "Complimentary or Flattering to an excessive degree" You know, like those Residents you used to teach...
    So please tell me how Chicken Thighs can be "Fulsome"
    Liver??? You know it TASTES like an organ that detoxifies toxins...
    And its Chocolate "Moose" not however you mispelled it, Funk & Wagnal's Breath...

    Ahhhhh...feel better already.

    Frank "I ate British Beef for years and I'm just fine" Drackman

    ReplyDelete

Comments back, moderated. Preference given for those who stay on topic.

Popular posts