Monday, September 24, 2012

I've Had It




I think I might have officially had it. Not with blogging. With the goddam fundraising.

The phone calls might be coming less, hopefully because I've begun picking up and telling them to take me off their list before they get past the "may I speak to..." I give online, I tell them; because it's true.

But, dammit, I get probably twenty emails a day, from the DSCC, DLCC, Obama for America, Patty Murray, Elizabeth Warren, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Joe Biden, Al Gore, Bill Clinton, various local politicos, and Barack and/or Michele Obama. (And, no, I don't think they're personally involved, even when they start with "Dear Sid.")

When so moved, I chip in; for some more than others. I'm approaching the legal limit for Mr Obama. But it never ends. If there's a followup email, it's never just a thank you, but a request to make it weekly, or up the ante. Happened again today, within four seconds of giving. Emails arrive from the source to which I just gave, and they act like if I did so again, it'd be the first time. It's starting to piss me off. Enough is never enough. I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is, and I do. But, geez, can a guy get some props? Or a break?

I did get one -- and only one -- email of pure thanks, with no request for anything else. It was from Elizabeth Warren, and it made me like her more.

Maybe I should start answering the phone calls again, just for the satisfaction of telling them it's time for a little gratitude and hanging up on them.


2 comments:

  1. I second your frustration on this one, Sid. I've tried to be generous to liberal candidates in the past few years, but the more I donate, the more they beg. In today's mail I received, and threw away, at least 6 solicitations from Democrat/liberal causes, leading me to think that a substantial fraction of the money I donated in the past is going to pay for postage rather than for political action. It is approaching bizarre proportions.
    Mark V

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I agree completely. I just made another contribution to the Obama campaign the other day, and have received daily, (is it hourly?) requests for more with only passing acknowledgment of my "previous donation"). It does feel sorta unappreciated (even if they keep sending me the same "free" bumper sticker).

    ReplyDelete

Comments back, moderated. Preference given for those who stay on topic.

Popular posts