Friday, September 14, 2012

Mea Culpa


Okay, when I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Here I've been repeating the claim of those who've analyzed The Rominee's tax plan that he'd be raising taxes on middle income people. But the man himself has cleared things up in an interview with George Stephanopoulos, and made it obvious we've been lying.
"Let me tell you, George, the fundamentals of my tax policy are these. Number one, reduce tax burdens on middle-income people. So no one can say my plan is going to raise taxes on middle-income people, because principle number one is keep the burden down on middle-income taxpayers"

Well, I can admit it when I've erred... Mr Romney has the average person in his heart and.... What's that? (Holds finger to ear, like Jon Stewart does when pretending he's getting a message from the control booth). He said what? Oh. Sorry. I'm being told he defined "middle income" as 200 - 250 thousand dollars!!!

Interesting.

Of course we carbon-based life-forms know the median US income is around 50 thousand dollars. So, in addition to demonstrating how clueless about and removed from regular people he is, The Rominee just confirmed that if your income is less than about $200K (i.e. approximately 95% of all Americans), he's gonna get you.

Damn. That's twice I was wrong.

[Update: here's an article that takes issue with the interpretation above. However, it excoriates The Rominee on his math, and makes pretty clear his budget claims are baloney. And here's a graph that tells us something, too.]


2 comments:

  1. http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/09/14/romney-president-will-lie-in-debates/?hpt=hp_t3

    Tagline "Romney: President will lie in debates." This is going a little past the theater of the absurd, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the correct term is "projection."

    ReplyDelete

Comments back, moderated. Preference given for those who stay on topic.

Popular posts