Wednesday, March 17, 2010

USA!! USA!! USA!!


Some there are who -- depending where their heads are on the timeline of inevitability -- either fear or rue the fall of the US from world dominance. Me, I don't much care about global rankings; but I DO care about the reasons for the decline. It's one thing to get edged out in a hard-fought and keenly met fight; sooner or later tides turn. It's quite another to have deliberately stabbed oneself in the brain. (Nor is the aforementioned reference singular: Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck are the evident leaders of a movement based on deriding intellect, rejecting fact, and literally honoring its own ignorance. And, based on surveys, who can doubt they're riding a wave?)

So I was pleased to read this article (thanks for sending it, JB) in which I learned that there's at least one American still striving to be number one:

Donna Simpson, from New Jersey, weighs 273kg but told the Daily Mail newspaper she had her heart set on reaching her goal weight of 1000lb (450kg) in two years.

The 42-year-old already holds the title of the world's fattest mother after giving birth to her daughter in 2007 when she weighed 241kg.

"I'd love to be 1000lb ... it might be hard though, running after my daughter keeps my weight down," Ms Simpson told the Daily Mail.



In the article, there are several interesting details:

Her 49-year-old partner Philippe — who she met on a dating site for plus-size people — was encouraging her to reach her goal, she said.

"I think he'd like it if I was bigger ... he's a real belly man and completely supports me," she said......In order to pay for the enormous amounts of food she is eating — her weekly grocery bill is $815 — Ms Simpson makes money by running a website where men pay to watch her consume fast food.


Really, it's an all-American story, full of family values: she has loving support, and she's self-employed. And who knew there were "belly" men? (Well, maybe I am, too, if by "belly" this is what you mean. Just enough sweet softness over the recti to make it a touchable two-pack.... um... I digress... Sorry....)

The lady is an inspiration. I may have to get a web-cam. Let me know what you'd pay to watch me do.

So, you go, girl. Take our country over the top. We're right there with you (as long as you don't end up in our particular insurance pool, and as long as we're not playing teeter-totter.)


10 comments:

  1. Sid, you know WEIGHHHHHHHHHHHH(a pun!) too much about this lady...
    And I don't get it, Sara Palin's not fat, and Glenn Beck's skinnier than Ted Kennedy at the same age, and hasn't drowned any young women yet...
    I'm more disturbed by the thought of a 241 kg baby...read that part again, theres some gramatical mistake, I don't remember what kind, I drew sketches of burning A-rabs during 5th grade English...
    "After giving birth to HER daughter in 2007 when SHE weighed 241 Kg" WHO weighed 241 KG?? Her? the Daughter??
    And it's all the Metric System's Fault that Jimmy Carter tried to push on America along with windmills and the Chevy Citation
    145 KG doesn't sound like alot, especially in a Nation thats used pounds since the first slave was auctioned at Plymouth Rock in 1619.. But 145 KGs is over 300lbs(319 to be exact) but you expect a bunch of mathematically illiterate hicks to figure that out???
    I'd pay a reasonable sum to watch you Operate...I love Snuff Films:)
    and how much does Mrs Sid weigh??? Please specify your units...

    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always good to have a life goal.

    (unless you are crazy)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is so misguided!

    I don't know the metric system. What is her actual weight? 273kg?

    That's just crazy.

    I have struggled with weight my entire life ..rather proficient at yo-yoing. I remember thinking I was *fat* at 13 pounds overweight. UGH. And I am 5'8".

    Now heavier..I am determined to get to lose it once and for all with healthy lifestyle changes. Quality sleep is one of them and that is a struggle. I joke that if I went to bed early I would lose weight ..because I am a night eater. I actually think it might work ..the *sleep diet*. :)

    Anyway ..this woman is not thinking about her child and their future. And she will create new set points in her body that it will then always want to go back to... and she'll have a hard time losing. And appearance ..and where are her physicians in this? Well maybe they don't know. They need to scare the daylights out of her.

    And COUNSELING ..because she is obviously not thinking clearly.

    Maybe she likes the money coming in and is looking for the notoriety?

    And those people paying her ..sick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not that hard to figure out kilograms/pounds, Seaspray. There's that thing called gooogly or whatever it is... multiply by 2.2.

    And since, in the first part of this post, I gave you the answer to your other study problem, I won't do the math here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually ..I read the article a couple of nights ago and admittedly didn't see anything I understood and math not my strong suit. Should've tried harder I guess.

    No big deal ..was just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I meant to say I googled the metric weight and didn't see anything I understood after reading the article.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OUCH!

    Math anxiety ...whatever ..not my strong suit ..words ..foreign languages ..no problem.

    Yet ..my older son says I'm like Rain Man the way I remember numbers ..phone numbers from years ago. Businesses ..places not often called. Good for coding too. :)

    Even when I don't think I know a number ..I start dialing and it's like my fingers know the numbers.

    Not math ..but quirky with numbers. :)

    Hey ..I never said I was a Mensa mind. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Time to make a math check list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm slow on the uptake of your comment I guess ..but why do you need to restrain yourself?

    ReplyDelete

Comments back, moderated. Preference given for those who stay on topic.

Popular posts