Saturday, May 26, 2012

Progress


Our 25 year old refrigerator/freezer finally completed its slow death, and we've just replaced it with the newest version of the same thing. The original had worked perfectly for 23 of its 25 years. The new one, which has many more bells and whistles, all of which are significant improvements over the old one (not the least of which is that it's so quiet I keep checking to see if the power is off; and it's much more energy efficient), stopped making ice after its first twelve hours in our home.

The repair guy plugged his computer into a data port, got a readout that determined the problem, from which he concluded that the entire motherboard (or whatever it's called) needed to be replaced. That's the evidently faulty one in the picture. (For perspective, it's about 14" x 5.5". A big mother.) From a refrigerator/freezer. Looks like it could direct a mission to Mars. The old one had no port, and I doubt it had much in the way of a computer. We didn't have to truck in ice to keep it cold, but it was definitely older school. You can buy a year-old if slightly stripped down car for the price of this new baby.

I like it, but I'm not expecting 25 years out of it, way things are going. Is all I'm saying.


2 comments:

  1. Umm Sid, I just learned this a few years ago, but.............
    Did you know Refrigerators use FLUOROCHLOROHYDROCARBONS?!?!?!?!
    Especially yours, which is probably singlehandely responsible for that hole in the O-Zone.
    OK, Al-Gore probably had a hand in it to...
    Cause it didn't stop working cause the little Elves inside died, its cause the R-12 that used to keep your cold ones cold, is now up in the Stratosphere goin all Mitt Romney on those sensitive Ozone Molecules......
    But I'm so P-whipped I rarely even open the Fridge in my Rediculously Overpriced Kitchen, I mean who needs Granite Counters, and Restaurant-Grade Burners, I mean, I was happy with what came with the House, and boy it'd be nice to spend that money on something else, like Alimony...
    Seriously, its stuffed with stuff I just don't eat, you know, Vegetables, Juices, Yogurt, my daughters Medroxy-Progesterone..
    I've got a little Mini-Fridge in my Man Cave, almost as old as yours, except it's refrigerant is where it's supposed to be, keeping my Cigars and O'doul's crisp and cold...

    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  2. And just what did you think were in those vaporizers you crank on every case? Pixie dust???

    And when you've finished poisoning your patients, where did you think that stuff went? Here's a hint: they don't metabolize all that much. Looks like you got more than your share second-hand, though, so there's that. Still, you're probably personally responsible for a couple of dozen melanomas.

    I always wonder if you guys just don't believe the CFC/ozone chemistry, or if you're actively rooting for environmental destruction. Guess it don't make much difference.

    Painless

    ReplyDelete

Comments back, moderated. Preference given for those who stay on topic.

Popular posts