Monday, December 27, 2010

Governing Principle


Maybe this guy can knock some sense into birthers:

Reporting from Honolulu —
Neil Abercrombie knew Barack Obama's parents when the future president was born here in 1961, and he has been aggravated by the so-called birther movement, which alleges Obama was not born in the United States and thus should be expelled from office.

Now Abercrombie has an office of his own — he became governor of Hawaii on Dec. 6. — and he intends to do something about it.

What, exactly, is unclear. But in an interview this week at the state Capitol, he left little doubt that torpedoing the conspiracy theorists was a priority.

"What bothers me is that some people who should know better are trying to use this for political reasons," said Abercrombie, 72. "Maybe I'm the only one in the country that could look you right in the eye right now and tell you, 'I was here when that baby was born.' "


It's a tall order. The birthers are of a piece with young-earthers and trickle-downers: people who cling to beliefs that have no relation to -- which, in fact have been thoroughly debunked by -- facts.

I can only assume that if the new governor were to place the birth certificate in a well-lit room and invite those people to file by like visitors to the National Archive, they'd come out the other end telling anyone who'd listen that Obama was born in Kenya.

Still, the prospect of the contortions and back-filling and changing of the subject from the idiocracy is fun to contemplate.

4 comments:

  1. Umm Sid, maybe you could provide a link to The President's(Peace be upon Him) Birth Certificate? and I mean one without more black marks than Ted Kennedy left on that Bridge at Chapaquiddick(I know, he didn't leave any skid marks, its a literary device)I mean, I had to show mine to get my Medical License a few years back...
    and I'd like to thank AlGore for the first Atlanta White Christmas since 82'.
    1882, and if the blizzard does what its supposed to, I might not see my In-Laws still 2011, when the Inheritance tax goes up...

    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why should I bother, Frank? I could bring it to Georgia, roll it up, and shove it up which ever orifice you prefer (ie, one not occupied, at that time, by your finger or a battery-powered device) and you'd still not believe it, even after you fetched it back, licked it off, and asked someone to read it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, Sid, do you talk to your Mother with that mouth?? Oh yeah, the Alzheimers, she probably talks to YOU like that...

    and My, someones not having a good 2d day of Kwanza...
    which is "Kujichagulia" which is fake Swahili for "Self Determination" and coincidentally the same sound some patients make on emergence from anesthesia...
    "KUHICHAGUlia!!!!"
    and anyway, I published Barak's Certificate of Life Birth on My Grammy Award winning Blog years ago, I just wanted to yank your Surgeons Chain...

    and have a happy "Ujima"!

    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's called aspiration, Frank. Try cricoid pressure.

    ReplyDelete

Comments back, moderated. Preference given for those who stay on topic.

Popular posts